Many of you now know that, in another "life", I am the co-owner of TwigaDudu, a new startup in the Valley of a Thousand Hills, KZN, South Africa. My business partner and I hand-dye 100% cotton fabric suitable for patchwork quilting. Our fabric is different and interesting in that we buy loomstate fabric i.e. fabric directly off the weaving looms. The fabric has not been through the chemical scouring processes which makes it slightly rougher and thicker than what I would call "processed" fabric. It also absorbs up the dye like a very dry sponge in water. The hot African sun acts as a catalyst between the fabric and the dye. Wow - what interesting results... Intense, vibrant colours that are amazing. The photo below is one of our browns and yellows and greens batching. The batch of dye and fabric 2nd from the left right at the back of the photo was the binding for the double bed quilt that I made - the one Sir Sprocket approves of.
I also made my first attempt at sewing a double bed quilt in blocks and then using the "sew as you go" method to put the blocks together. This is the worst quilt I have ever designed. The blocks aren't fitting together like they should and, I'm still manhandling big sections of quilts under my machine. Needless to say, I'll never design a quilt like this again.... There is nothing wrong with the sew as you go method - I just designed my quilt badly using this method.
The photo below is of the quilt on my bed and Sir Sprocket, the red Burmese boy approves of my handiwork - he noted that he would actually like the quilt but understood when I told him it's a gift. He did however try and persuade me to make him one.