Tuesday 25 March 2008

String Quilt

I have finally put the string quilt top together, well almost. I ran out of black fabric to do the side borders. Now all I have to do is buy the backing fabric and the batting and finish it off :D





The string quilt blocks have finally been sewn in very crooked rows. Now I have to straighten the rows and find some way of joining the rows together to make a quilt. Any suggestions, anyone.......






Well, I cut my nice square blocks up to make irregular shapes. The trick now is going to be to put all of them together to make a geometrically shaped quilt. I can't wait to see how the quilt turns out........




























I am almost finished with the Animals in Log Cabins quilt so have decided to learn a new technique - String quilting. This is awesome - you play with offcuts of material and sew them on a backround fabric. These are my first 3 blocks I did last night. Watch this space for more blocks..........






13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leigh-Anne...You are doing rather well for a new quilter. Did you hand dye the fabrics yourself? They are beautiful.

Mary Ann Littlejohn said...

Just keep doing what you're doing. Don't fret about "finding your voice". The more work you do the shorter (timewise) the journey. Your friends will recognize your "voice" long before you do. It's what's inside you.

Tina Marie Rey said...

I love, love, love the colors! I really like how you are doing the blocks with each one being different, I think it will add great movement. And did I say I love the colors!
Bravo!

Nikki said...

Great color and strong lines. I love your sense of adventure in these pieces.

Rayna said...

Wonderful! Try putting them together as randomly as possible - they will end up as a piece that is full of energy and looks great no matter how you put the blocks together.

Alison Schwabe said...

why astraighten anything? Take Rayna's comment to heart, and put them together now, trimming only were necessary - real zing.

ann said...

WOW! Love the colors and the way you sewed them together. Really like the un-straight lines. Had to peak because I want to do a string quilt when this quilt is done. Haven't done one either, but I've got a few bits laying around. . .

Nikki said...

I love the colors and energy.

cat in tassie said...

Leigh, I love your sense of colour. I think the same ting every time I look at your blog. Your string quilt is going to look great. Please let Quiltart know when you've finished so we can come back and have a look.
cheers, cat

Sherryl said...

It's gorgeous. The black really sets off all the wonderful colors.

Anonymous said...

Oh Leigh.... I love this quilt... the colors are so vibrant... Very kewl!!

Susan said...

wow this is a great quilt and something I have read about but never tried. maybe it will be my next one as I have lots of fabrics that I can use. this is really inspirational to me.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.