Monday 24 November 2008

Game Farm

We went to visit friends who stay on a Game Farm a couple of sundays ago and went for a game drive. We saw a 5 metre long African Rock Python. It was gliding across the road. What an amazing sight.


Notice how thick the python's body is.....
Apart from all the usual game, we saw a 1 week old giraffe calf. What a beautiful sight. The mother hides to give birth to her calf and then about 1 week later brings her calf out and introduces it to the rest of the herd. We watched the introductions yesterday afternoon - a sight to behold. David took all the photos.


5 comments:

Judy Alexander said...

I have traveled extensively but have never been to Africa. Would love it! Don't know how I would react to the python though.....Judy

Anonymous said...

Africa is an awesome place both to live and visit. You are more than welcome to visit and I will show you around.

The python was clearly not hunting so we were safe. We walked up to about 1 metre of it then it scented us so we backed off. I did however hold onto my Giant Schnauzer puppy rather tightly - did not want her to become dinner :LOL

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have never been to Africa but if I ever did go I would hope to see the unusual animals that you have. Seeing a python - wow - it is soooo big!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jackie's Stitches said...

The snake.....scary!

The giraffes, however, are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

It was a big python. I have never seen one so big in the wild. You don't often see snakes in the wild - only the adder family because they are rather slow moving. Most other snakes hear you coming and hide.