Sunday 2 December 2007

Ode to a Dead Daisy

I am having a rough time at the moment. Last week was very difficult and this morning my gorgeous Saluki puppy was hurt on the beach. Some sharp object slashed her leg open cutting on of the branches of the main artery that runs down her leg. The blood pumped out of her leg. By using a tournique we managed to stop most of the bleeding. My husband carried her to the point where we could drive the car. He ran and collected the car and we rushed her off to the emergency vet. He stitched her up but was worried that the pressure of the stitches on the main artery would reduce blood flow to her leg and she could lose her leg. So we collected her late this afternoon, all looked well and 1 hour later took her back to the vet. The leg was bleeding heavily again. The vet re-operated to tie of the artery. So now there is a greater chance of her losing her leg. And I am devastated. I feel awful - a bit like this photo below. I will convert this photo into a piece of art and post it ....... watch this space.




The photo below is the beginning of the applique interpretation of the above picture. It is an pretty accurate representation. What I really want to do is move in a more abstract direction but I have no idea how to get there. Does anyone have any ideas? My puppy is so much better. She is bandaged and sedated to keep her quiet but she is alive and home. The rest I can cope with.




The three upright green leaves symbolise hope. As for the tea cup instead of a flower pot...... well, maybe poking a bit of fun at life and my emotional state, who knows. The tea cup just happened (LOL).


This is a photo of my puppy Elef Neshikot with all her bandaged legs. Her name means 1000 Kisses in Hebrew and she certainly lives up to her name. She is such an affectionate puppy. She comes from the Negev Desert in Israel and her mother was gifted to the breeder by the Bediouns in the Negev Desert. If you'd like to view more photos of her and her parents and family etc go to the website www.ruahmidbar.co.il. She is part of the "E" litter.

3 comments:

Jill Smith said...

I got your blog from quiltart and l am so sorry, it must be terible going through this, l am terrible if my persian gets ill yet as a nurse years ago l can cope with humans, once called the vet out to my cat as she was frothing at the mouth behind a heavy chair and all it was that the collor got behind her teeth from her neck and only wanted moving so thats what lam so it just must be awful for you and l have family problems, would love to know how she goes so will save your blog if you don't mind, don't think it will mean her leg as in humans and my grandmother l have heard that and its never come to that so am saying prayers that it won't for you to.
Our beeches are bad as well and glass and druggie stuff is there, friends go in the country now for walks,
Jill

TJM wanna be quilt artist said...

I am so sorry that your Saluki has been hurt, I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. I lost my Molly; a 15 1/2 year old bichon August 24 and am still lost...I hope your Saluki does not lose her leg please keep us informed.

ren said...

how to get more abstract? I started by just putting pieces of fabric on a backing without a picture in mind. the composition then just happened. if you gave me your dead daisy picture, I would take the dark and light areas and use them as a starting point for putting fabrics together. that said, I really really admire your ability to make realistic appliques. see some of my stuff on www.thecrazyatomorbit.blogspot.com. all best,
ren