Thursday 24 February 2011

Fabric Dyeing again

As I have mentioned before, fabric dyeing is a wonderful excursion into the world of semi-unpredictable creativity. Well, maybe it shouldn't be so unpredictable but it is such fun. I needed some backing fabric to finish off a couple of quilts. Mmmm, when do I find the time to rush off to the shop to buy some backing fabric...wait a moment, I can dye some fabric. Here are the results...

Dark plum fabric for the back of a purple Trip Round the World quilt was first up on the to do list. I had a sample of premixed purple dye. So.... on with the dyeing process.....One thing I learnt is that if you don't mix dye powder properly you get spots of the primary colours that are used to make up the secondary colour - not necessarily a bad thing. The results are a bit like snow dyeing- I love the results.





















The next photo shows the blue fabric I dyed. I needed backing for one of my stash busting cot quilts so.. I started with a medium blue and then decided that it was too light so I over-dyed it with a navy blue. This piece of fabric will now serve 2 purposes....backing for the cot quilt as well as a stormy sky for a fabric landscape that was commissioned - that is another story for another day

The last photo is an attempt at dyeing a piece of burnt orange fabric  - not a success. It came out too brown. I used 4 parts yellow dye, 4 parts red dye and 1 part black dye powder. Any ideas on how to improve the colour?

.

5 comments:

Elzaan said...

Those dyed fabrics are fantastic. Well done on the purple and blue fabrics.
Don't know much about fabric dye, so I can't help, but still like the colour though. Mix a few green fabrics, and you have yourself a garden...
Elzaan

Gail said...

Leigh, I think your dye work is great. I like the results of the not so well mixed dyes, LOL. The brown one, what about adding some red in perhaps a tie dye way. Keep up the great work.
Gail (UFO list)

Anonymous said...

I love the color of the third one. They are all fabulous. The third one is a large enough piece, you can experiment with overdying. At a guess, I'd say it needed more red! I'd love to see overdying experiments on bits of it. Was it for a project?

Anonymous said...

try more of a 1:2 ratio red:yellow and add just a smidge of black to alter the tone.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the compliments and advice. I am definitely going to redye the brown fabric with some red. Will post the results as soon as I have done it.