Sunday 30 August 2009

Nancy Crow Quilting Course

Back from the quilting course in the Northern Drakensberg, South Africa. What a wonderful experience and a huge learning curve. We learnt about lines, shapes and their proportion to the background - how lines form shapes etc. Much like positive and negative space. It is a design course - certainly the most advanced I have ever done.

We arrived at the conference centre on Sunday afternoon, unpacked and started work bright and early monday morning. Nancy did not say much before sending us off to discover the exciting world of "lines, lines and more lines". Our brief was to produce 18 pieces using different types of lines by 9am the next morning (Tuesday). What a journey of discovery, a bit nerve wracking as well. The following is a photograph of one of my pieces from this task:


 

The following morning we were tasked with doing a piece 4 feet x 6 feet (1.2m x 1.8) using our chosen colour palette and "lines, lines and more "lines". We had to have the piece completed by 9am Wednesday morning for a critique. (Help). The start of my piece.




















This is as far as I got.... still a large amount of work to do.




On Wednesday morning we were tasked with making a sampler with at least 7 different shapes from a "C" curve to a "S" shape to a circle. I have not started this as I took Nancy down to see the Drakensberg Boys Choir perform. What an amazing experience. It was totally worth going to see the boys sing especially as one of my boys is in the school. :LOL

On Thursday morning we woke up to the start of the major work - an 8 foot by 8 foot piece. This is what it looked like when I started work. We had about an hour to put the following frame work together and then start working on the detail.
















 


This photograph shows the final detail of the top right hand quadrant - It's all I managed to do in 2 days. My sewing skills need to be radically improved......


















The first thing I need to do tomorrow morning is organise myself a design wall and then I can finish these 2 projects. I can't wait..

For photos of the area that I stayed in see the following blog : http://slicesofafrica.blogspot.com

11 comments:

Nina Marie said...

First of all - I'm not sure what is more an accomplishment - getting through Nancy's Class with such nice stuff or raising a boy who can sing so pretty! Two thumbs up for both! I especially love the use of gradations of pink with the use of black and white. I'll have to keep that on my radar!

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I am very proud of both - the boy that can sing and getting through Nancy's class.

suewalen said...

Reading your blog reminded me of the intense week I spent at Nancy's barn in her "beginner" class. My heavens we worked hard! I remember the mix of anxiety and excitement, and the feeling that I was the slowest kid in the class. That said, I think your work is amazing! I love the simple circles and am curious to see what becomes of them.

Unknown said...

Wow! Mind boggling. I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to accomplish all that you have.

Nancy Crow was very kind to me earlier this year when I was putting together a presentation on art quilting in Ohio....Taking a class from her is on my wish list for one of these days...

Be very proud of what you started...I can't wait to see your Licorice Allsorts quilt (the pink/black/white one) when you get further along on it.

Judy Alexander said...

What amazing accomplishments! This must have bee quite the class and with such an amazing quilter.

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone again for your positive comments. I am looking forward to finishing both pieces soon.

JYA Fiberarts said...

This work is great. You did an outstanding job. I have often heard about Nancy's classes. Thank you for sharing your very striking work.

Eileen said...

I've heard Nancy's classes are intense-your pics show that as well. Why did she have you work on such large pieces? 8ftx8ft!! Where could something that big be displayed?

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why she had us work on such big pieces - forgot to ask her :LOL

I enjoy working big but have been trying to force myself to work small due to space constraints and cost constraints

Candi said...

Wow! Looks like a lot of hard work that's paying Leigh-Anne! Thanks for sharing
hugz:)

Glenda K said...

The reason why Nancy Crow makes you work on such big pieces is that you are cutting without seam allowances and the piece becomes smaller as you go along- especially in the "Bull's Eye "pieces. With this kind of work its much easier to work with big pieces than small pieces.
Remeber, its all freehand cutting- no rulers- just your rotary cutter and you.