Saturday 1 January 2011

More fabric dyeing

Fabric dyeing is rapidly becoming a fascination of mine. Here are some photos of the results.

In this photo the fabric is waiting in front of the washing machine to be washed.



This is a photo of my second attempt - the colours are much better than the first attempt.

The next exercise I had to attempt was to dye pieces of fabric using 2 complementary colours ie Red and Green, Blue and Orange, and Yellow and Purple. I also learnt that the stronger the Soda Ash solution, the brighter the colours. These dyed fabrics are much brighter than the first 2 attempts at dyeing single colours.

This is a photo of the Red and Green fabric. I am battling to mix the dye to make a green other than olive green. It is getting a bit frustrating......























This purple and yellow fabric is quite bright - I wonder where I can use this fabric.....


This orange and blue fabric is also quite bright. You can see the neutral colours appearing where the 2 colours have mixed.

In this last photo I used up all the left over dye..... These fabrics are almost too pretty to use.



My kids and I also dyed some t-shirts. They are still being washed and photographed. My son David has helped a lot with the rinsing out and ironing of the fabric.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the effects you are getting with your dyes. Thanks for sharing your experience and photos. Interesting to find out the strength of soda ash solution had on color. I plan to try dyeing fabric in the future and will keep this in mind.

Linda Cline said...

You've created some beautiful fabrics.

If you're trying to create a more basic green color, I think you'll need to use a primary yellow. The yellow you're using is leaning a bit towards orange. But I like this green very much. It's very natural looking.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments and tips. I really appreciate them

Elzaan said...

Love how the colours "go their own way" on the fabric.
Those fabrics really came out very beautiful.
Elzaan