Saturday 24 January 2009

UFO Day and Memory Quilts

Today is the first UFO day and I am finishing the memory quilt for a friend who teaches David (my Aspergers lad) dog training. It started out as being a wall hanging but there are too many photos - I am just making up all the photos into blocks - log cabin blocks with a twist. and then the blocks into strips. Who knows how big it will end up :-) Having great fun and that's what counts.
The first 3 photos are the strips and blocks that I completed before today.


The next 2 photos are what I did today. It's slow but rewarding work. Because I am designing the quilt as I go, I need to make one block at a time and join it to the next block. Each strip has to be sewn, trimmed and ironed flat before I can move onto the next strip.
Note the cat on the last photo. This is my pregnant Lilac Burmese cat. She has taken to sleeping on our bed all the time. She might even choose to give birth to her kittens on our bed - could be interesting :LOL



I am having such fun I think I will sew some more :LOL
I REALLY need to build a design wall - taking photos flat on the bed standing on a chair does not make good photos......

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

would love to see a picture of your log cabin with a twist.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Anonymous said...

adding photos of the strips now - still a bit of work to do before I can put the strips together. :LOL

Beertje Zonn said...

What a lovely idea!
Kind regards,

Sonnja & Bear Zonn
from the Netherlands

Anonymous said...

would love to see a picture of your log cabin with a twist.

Nettie said...

our work is fabulous! great talent

Nettie said...

that should read YOUR work is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

The log cabin with a twist is happening - at least I think it is going to end up with a twist: LOL - the log cabin blocks are all different sizes because the photos are different sizes. I really hope it looks ok once it is together.

Candi said...

Oh my, your memory quilt is going to be just beautiful. Nice work:)
hugz:)